Quick access to information based on government's structure

Ministry of Health

Assisted Living Registrar

Related Links

Health Authorities
Regulatory Associations


For the up-to-date, authoritative list of registered assisted living residences in BC consult the ALR’s Registered Assisted Living Residence Locator for seniors, and for mental health and substance use.

The following websites also provide searchable housing directories:

  • Seniors Services Society — the Seniors Housing Information Program (SHIP) provides a comprehensive searchable online directory of all kinds of seniors’ housing, including assisted living residences. The website also provides an extensive list of housing-related resources, mainly for Vancouver and the Lower Mainland.
  • The Care Guide — a comprehensive list of resources for seniors and a searchable housing-provider database for seniors’ housing, including assisted living.
  • BC Housing — BC Housing develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options across the province. They partner with public and private housing providers, other levels of government and community agencies to create the best system of housing and supports for those in greatest need.
  • bc211 — Provides access to community, government and social services in the lower mainland.


Association of Addiction Specialists & Allied Professionals (ASAP BC)
A non-profit, non-government association whose members are addiction service providers throughout BC. ASAP BC service providers offer prevention and treatment services employing a wide range of strategies including abstinence based programs and harm reduction programs.

Assisted Living and Residential Care Fire and Life Safety (PDF 1.6M)
The purpose of this information is to clarify the fire and life safety provisions established for assisted living residences and residential care facilities, particularly small group homes.

Alzheimer Society of BC
The Alzheimer Society of BC is a non-profit organization that provides support services and education programs to British Columbians affected by Alzheimer's disease and related dementias.

BC Care Providers' Association
The BCCPA is a non-profit society which has been serving private and non-profit community care providers for over 35 years.

BC Centre for Disease Control
BCCDC investigates and evaluates the occurrence of communicable diseases in BC and is the provincial reporting centre for reportable cases and categories of communicable diseases.

BC Centre for Elder Advocacy and Support
The BC Centre for Elder Advocacy and Support (BC CEAS) operates the Elder Law Clinic. The clinic provides legal services to adults over age 55 that would not otherwise be able to access justice due to low income, mobility difficulties or other issues. For more information, phone the seniors’ information and help line toll-free (1 866 437-1940).

BC Injury Research and Prevention Unit
The BCIRPU website provides Falls Prevention materials, tips and tools.

BC Non-Profit Housing Association
The BCNPHA provides leadership and support to members to maintain a high standard of affordable housing throughout British Columbia. BCNPHA members are mainly non-profit housing operators, and include some assisted living operators.

BC Seniors’ Guide
The BC Seniors’ Guide provides information on programs and benefits available to seniors in British Columbia.

BC Seniors Living Association
The BCSLA provides advocacy, leadership and networking opportunities for its members. BCSLA members are committed to innovation, resident choice, and excellence in the seniors living industry.

Canada's Food Guide to Healthy Eating
Health Canada's Food Guide provides information about what types of foods are best and the importance of physical activity. The information aims to help Canadians meet their nutritional needs and to reduce the risk of obesity and chronic disease.

Canadian Centre for Elder Law Studies
CCELS is a non-profit organization that provides education, research, lectures and workshops on legal issues of particular significance for older adults.

Community Care Facilities Licensing
This branch of the BC Ministry of Health develops and implements legislation, policy and guidelines that protect the health and safety of people cared for in licensed community care facilities.

Email A HealthLink BC Dietitian
British Columbians can send their nutrition questions to HealthLink B.C.'s Dietitian Services, and get personalized answers from registered dietitians. A dietitian will reply within three business days.

Family & Friend Caregivers Information and Resource Handbook for Metro Vancouver
A directory of information and resources for family and friend (unpaid) caregivers created and distributed by the United Way of the Lower Mainland.

Find a Physician
This on-line physician directory provided by the BC College of Physicians and Surgeons is searchable by physician name, specialty and location, and for physicians accepting new patients.

Guide to Your Care (PDF 1.7M)
This guide explains the home and community care services of the BC Ministry of Health home and community care. Publicly subsidized home and community care services provide a range of health care and support services for people who have acute, chronic, palliative or rehabilitative health care needs. These services are designed to complement and supplement, but not replace, your efforts to care for yourself with the assistance of your family, friends and community.

HealthLink BC provides BC residents with 24/7 access to non-emergency health information and advice via telephone, online and in print.

The website provides medically-approved information on more than 4,000 health topics, symptoms, and over-the-counter and prescription drugs and offers tips for maintaining a healthy lifestyle. It also offers an integrated search and mapping function to more than 4,500 health services to help British Columbians find health services close to their home communities.

Residents of British Columbia can also call 8-1-1 from anywhere in the province to speak to a nurse, dietitian or pharmacist or to find a health resource in their area. Translation services in 130 languages are available upon request.

Healthy Eating for Seniors Guide (PDF 366K)
The Healthy Eating for Seniors Guide is a BC Ministry of Health handbook on nutrition for seniors. It includes information about food and supplements, tips on eating, and many other topics on healthy eating of interest to seniors.

HereToHelp provides reliable information on mental health and substance use problems, through a partnership of the Provincial Health Services Authority, the Ministry for Children and Family Development, and leading provincial mental health and addictions agencies.

Meals and More
A foods and nutrition manual that provides information on a range of topics about food and nutrition care. Topics include nutrition care planning, healthy eating, planning menus, buying and storing supplies, preparing and serving quality foods, supportive dining and emergency planning.

Office of the Fire Commissioner
The Office of the Fire Commissioner is the senior provincial fire authority for fire safety and prevention. The Office's services include fire inspection, administration and enforcement of fire safety legislation, fire investigation, response to major fire emergencies and public fire safety education.

Office of Housing and Construction Standards
The Office of Housing and Construction Standards is responsible for housing policy, building and safety policy, and the Residential Tenancy Branch.

Parkinson Society British Columbia
Parkinson Society British Columbia helps people with Parkinson's and the people who care about them by providing support services including information and resources, education and consultation.

Public Guardian and Trustee of BC
The Public Guardian and Trustee (PGT) provides information about health care decision-making and financial and personal care management services on behalf of someone who is incapable. The PGT also manages the legal, financial and personal care interests of adults who need assistance in decision-making.

Residential Tenancy Branch
The residential tenancy branch website provides information about rights and responsibilities under BC's Residential Tenancy Act and Manufactured Home Park Tenancy Act, and dispute resolution services. is a new website that provides information about government programs and services for older adults. Included on the website are sections on health care, finances, benefits, housing, transportation and more.

Seniors Gateway to Legal Information and Resources
The Seniors Gateway contains links to many useful websites for seniors, and a wide variety of information about resources available on the Internet.

Senior's Health Care Support Line
Seniors who have issues accessing health care services or with the health care they received can call the Seniors Health Care Support Line to receive timely resolution of problems. You can contact the Seniors Health Care Support Line, Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Call toll-free: 1-877-952-3181 or in Victoria, call: 250-952-3181

Seniors' Healthy Living Secretariat
The Seniors' Healthy Living Secretariat through SeniorsBC, provides information about government programs and services for older adults. Information regarding the Seniors Action Plan and other seniors-related initiatives can be found on their website.

Shelter Aid for Elderly Renters (SAFER)
SAFER is a provincial housing subsidy available to seniors who are eligible and who pay more than 30 per cent of their income on rent.

Health Authorities

BC’s health care services are managed and delivered by five health authorities that govern, plan and coordinate services regionally.

Fraser Health
Fraser Health includes Burnaby to Hope inclusive. Its website provides information about services offered through the health authority, including Fraser Health Home and Community Care services and case manager contact information.

Interior Health
Interior Health covers the following areas: Thompson, Cariboo, Shuswap, Okanagan, East Kootenay and Kootenay Boundary, including Williams Lake and south to Hope. Its website provides information about services offered through Interior Health, including Interior Health Home and Community Care services and contact information.

Northern Health
Northern Health covers Quesnel and all areas north, east and west of Quesnel. The website provides information about services offered through the health authority and about Northern Health assisted living and Home and Community Care services.

Vancouver Coastal Health
Vancouver Coastal Health includes Vancouver, North and West Vancouver, Richmond and along the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast and BC's Central Coast. Its website provides information about services offered through the health authority, including Home and Community Care services and case manager contact information.

Island Health Authority
Island Health Authority covers Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands. Its website provides information about services offered through the health authority, including Home and Community Care services and case manager contact information.

Professional Associations

BC Care Aide & Community Health Worker Registry
The Registry is a database of credentialed, or "registered", care aides and community health workers, created to protect vulnerable clients, to establish and improve standards of care, and to promote professional development for Care Aides and Community Health Workers.

College of Dietitians of BC

College of Licensed Practical Nurses of BC

College of Pharmacists of BC
This brochure provides information about having a pharmacist renew or change a prescription: “Understanding Your Pharmacist’s Role in Renewing or Adapting Your Prescription.”

College of Registered Nurses of BC