B.C.'s PharmaNet is a world class provincial medication management information system, that records information on all prescriptions dispensed in community pharmacies in British Columbia.
The eDrug Project will improve medication management and patient safety for British Columbians by upgrading and enhancing the existing PharmaNet system, including integrating with B.C.’s electronic health record as it comes online. To mark this major change, we have given PharmaNet a new name - PharmaNet-eRx.
The public, pharmacists and physicians will all benefit from the changes to PharmaNet.
Benefits for the Public – PharmaNet-eRx will:
- improve patient safety through further reduction of adverse drug events.
- reduce treatment delays because health professionals have access to comprehensive medication histories.
- support better patient care delivery by identifying and addressing potential medication issues at the point of prescribing rather than the point of dispensing.
- empower patients by eventually enabling online access to their medication profile and access log.
eDrug Project Snapshot (PDF 59K)
Have an eDrug Project Question? Contact us at: email@example.com
Alice is a diabetic senior with a sinus infection. When her doctor enters an antibiotic prescription in her EMR she is notified of a potentially harmful interaction with a diabetes drug Alice is already taking. Alice’s doctor reviews her patient’s medication history online and prescribes another antibiotic. Alice’s prescription is electronically transmitted to her pharmacist so it is ready when she goes to collect it.
eHealth will provide
- secure and authorized access to health records from anywhere in the province.
- physicians better access to patient records.
- consolidated lab results - your tests online for your caregiver when you need them.
- enhanced PharmaNet to improve patient safety.
- X-rays, CT scans and MRIs online for your caregiver.
- health services over distance - teleHealth in rural and remote areas and for First Nations.
- improved public health service delivery to the public.