About Health Insurance BC and your Medical and Drug Coverage
- About Health Insurance BC
- About Medical Coverage by the Medical Services Plan (MSP)
- About Drug Coverage by PharmaCare
About Health Insurance BC
Health Insurance BC administers the Medical Services Plan (MSP) and PharmaCare programs on behalf of the B.C. government. Health Insurance BC's responsibilities include:
- Administration of MSP and PharmaCare business services (including registration for MSP and processing applications for Premium Assistance and Fair PharmaCare); and
- Registration of health care providers and payment of medical and pharmacy claims
About Medical Coverage by the Medical Services Plan (MSP)
The Medical Services Plan (MSP) provides over 4 million British Columbians with coverage for medically required services, laboratory services and diagnostic procedures. Medical coverage offers many benefits. MSP is a prepaid plan and account holders are billed for premiums one month in advance. See MSP Premiums for more information.
Assistance with premiums may be available, either through:
- Regular Premium Assistance Program (based on annual family income and allowable MSP deductions); or,
- Temporary Premium Assistance Program (for short term assistance based on unexpected financial hardship). Temporary Premium Assistance is a Program of the Ministry of Finance.
For more information, see Premium Assistance.
Each B.C. resident enrolled with the MSP is eligible for a BC Services Card with a personal health number.
Both the medical and drug coverage programs are administered by Health Insurance BC. Contact us for more information.
About Drug Coverage by PharmaCare
PharmaCare subsidizes eligible prescription drugs and designated medical supplies. PharmaCare provides financial assistance to British Columbians under Fair PharmaCare and other specialty plans. You can find more information on What is Covered and What is Not Covered by PharmaCare on the Ministry of Health website.
Fair PharmaCare assistance is based on your family's net income from two years ago. Your level of financial assistance includes your deductible, the PharmaCare portion and annual family maximum.
Your deductible: Your family (and/or your extended health care plan) is responsible for 100% of drug costs until your payments towards eligible costs reach the deductible. Once your family reaches the deductible, PharmaCare assists your family in paying for further eligible costs for the rest of the calendar year. Your level of assistance is recalculated and updated on January 1st of each year.
PharmaCare portion: Once your family reaches the deductible, PharmaCare pays a percentage of further eligible costs for the rest of the year. The PharmaCare portion is 70%; you are responsible for the remaining 30%. Note: If you or your spouse were born in 1939 or earlier, PharmaCare will contribute 75% towards your prescription costs after you reach your deductible.
Your family maximum: Once your contributions toward eligible costs reach this annual maximum, PharmaCare pays 100% of your family's further eligible costs for the rest of the year.
IMPORTANT: If you do not register for Fair PharmaCare, your assistance cannot be based on your income. Instead, you will have a default deductible of $10,000 per family member.