PharmaCare and You
On this page...
Who we cover
B.C. residents with active Medical Services Plan of B.C. (MSP) coverage are eligible for coverage under the following PharmaCare plans:
- Fair PharmaCare – B.C.’s income-based plan. Most B.C. residents are covered by this plan. You can register online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Plan B – Permanent residents of licensed residential care facilities
- Plan C – Individuals receiving income assistance from the Province of British Columbia
- Plan D – Individuals registered with a provincial cystic fibrosis clinic
- Plan F – Children receiving medical or full financial assistance through the At Home Program of the Ministry of Children and Family Development
- Plan G – Clients of mental health services centres for whom the cost of medication is a significant barrier to treatment
- BC Palliative Care Benefits Program – For those who choose to receive palliative care at home.
Products we cover
BC PharmaCare covers a comprehensive list of drugs and medical supplies, including:
Services we cover
- the full cost of a pharmacist-delivered medication review services for most B.C. residents taking 5 or more medications
- all B.C. residents for clinical services fees associated with prescription renewal or adaptation by pharmacists.
Examples of items/services not covered by PharmaCare
- Drugs or supplies purchased outside B.C. or from companies or pharmacies located outside B.C.
- Any portion of a dispensing fee above the maximum dispensing fee PharmaCare recognizes or above the maximum number of fees PharmaCare allows
- Drug costs above the maximum drug price PharmaCare recognizes
- Most drugs purchased over-the-counter
- that PharmaCare has reviewed and decided not to cover
- for which a manufacturer has not submitted a request for PharmaCare coverage
- that PharmaCare is currently considering for coverage
- available as part of a private clinical trial
- paid for by another payer, such as:
- a private or federal insurer
- WorkSafe BC or the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC)
- associated with an Award for Damages
- prescribed by a veterinarian
- used to treat infertility, as diet therapies, or those normally used for cosmetic purposes (such as for hair loss or wrinkle prevention)
- provided through other agencies or facilities such as:
- Medical supplies and devices not listed on the Medical Supplies page, and other items such as:
- Insulin pumps for adults
- Hearing aids or hearing aid batteries
- Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) machines
- Wheelchairs and walkers
- Baby formula
- Herbal medicine products
- Artificial sweeteners
About coverage of specific drugs
Want to know if your drug is covered?
» Use our online Formulary Search or contact Health Insurance BC.
Want to learn more about PharmaCare drug coverage decisions?
» Visit our Drug Coverage Decisions section for information on
- how drug coverage decisions are made
- how you can provide input into those decisions
- why and when a coverage decision was made
- whether PharmaCare covers a specific drug
- how manufacturers can request that a drug be considered for PharmaCare coverage