PharmaCare and You
On this page...
Who we cover
B.C. residents are eligible for coverage under the following PharmaCare plans:
- Fair PharmaCare – B.C.’s income-based plan. Most B.C. residents are covered by this plan. You can register online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Plan B – Permanent residents of licensed residential care facilities
- Plan C – Individuals receiving income assistance from the Province of British Columbia
- Plan D – Individuals registered with a provincial cystic fibrosis clinic
- Plan F – Children receiving medical or full financial assistance through the At Home Program of the Ministry of Children and Family Development
- Plan G – Clients of mental health services centres for whom the cost of medication is a significant barrier to treatment
- BC Palliative Care Benefits Program – For those who choose to receive palliative care at home.
Products we cover
BC PharmaCare covers a comprehensive list of drugs and medical supplies, including:
Services we cover
- the full cost of a pharmacist-delivered medication review services for most B.C. residents taking 5 or more medications
- all B.C. residents for clinical services fees associated with prescription renewal or adaptation by pharmacists.
If you are eligible for assistance, PharmaCare’s share of your drug costs is calculated automatically at the time of purchase. You pay only the costs not covered by PharmaCare. For some items, such as prosthetics and orthotics, a manual claim must be submitted by you or the supplier.
A secure, province-wide computer system called PharmaNet keeps track of your prescription and medical supply costs – you don’t have to “do the math” or submit receipts.
Examples of items/services not covered by PharmaCare
- Drugs or supplies purchased outside B.C. or from companies or pharmacies located outside B.C.
- Any portion of a dispensing fee above the maximum dispensing fee PharmaCare recognizes or above the maximum number of fees PharmaCare allows
- Drug costs above the maximum drug price PharmaCare recognizes
- Most drugs purchased over-the-counter
- that PharmaCare has reviewed and decided not to cover
- for which a manufacturer has not submitted a request for PharmaCare coverage
- that PharmaCare is currently considering for coverage
- available as part of a private clinical trial
- for which a private or federal insurer has paid
- prescribed by a veterinarian
- used to treat infertility, as diet therapies, or those normally used for cosmetic purposes (such as for hair loss or wrinkle prevention)
- provided through other agencies or facilities such as:
- Medical supplies and devices not listed on the Medical Supplies page, and other items such as:
- Insulin pumps for adults
- Hearing aids or hearing aid batteries
- Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) machines
- Wheelchairs, walkers, and other medical devices
- Baby formula
- Herbal medicine products
- Artificial sweeteners
About coverage of specific drugs
Want to know if your drug is covered?
» Use our online Formulary Search or contact Health Insurance BC.
Want to learn more about PharmaCare drug coverage decisions?
» Visit our Drug Coverage Decisions section for information on
- how drug coverage decisions are made
- how you can provide input into those decisions
- why and when a coverage decision was made
- whether PharmaCare covers a specific drug
- how manufacturers can request that a drug be considered for PharmaCare coverage