Benefits of Being Active
Physical activity can benefit British Columbians of all ages. The body responds positively to physical activity, which impacts the musculoskeletal, cardiovascular, respiratory and endocrine systems. This results in positive health outcomes, including reduced risk of cardiovascular disease and several cancers, as well as other health conditions.
There are many benefits of physical activity for individuals' health and wellness, including:
- Better overall health
- Improved fitness
- Better posture and balance
- Positive self-esteem
- Healthy weight and weight control
- Improves your mood
- Helps you sleep better
- Reduces the risk of falls
- Stronger muscles and bones
- Increased energy
- Relaxation and reduced stress
- Continued independent living in later life
Tips for Staying Active
- Choose activities you enjoy. This helps you maintain a healthy, active lifestyle.
- Cut down on 'screen time.' Long hours of sitting in front of the TV, computer or video games increases your risk of weight gain.
- Walk whenever you can: use the stairs instead of the elevator, get off the bus at an earlier stop, park farther away.
- Be flexible: stretch every day.
- Help your children learn new skills such as running, throwing and catching.
- Take time to participate in activities as a family, such as cycling or hiking.
- Be active during down time - fit in some stretching or practice good posture.
- Make it social: invite a friend.
- Congratulate yourself.
- Remember to take a few minutes every day to relax and think of something positive.